Museum of local history
On the ground floor, the history of the town of St. Goar and the castle is documented by numerous exhibits, excavations, display boards, lithographs and ancient writings.
They range from Roman times to the reconstruction plans of the 20th century. A model clearly shows the situation of the castle and fortress around 1600.
The tablets give explanations in German and English.
In the basement, the original barrel vault of 1371, are examples of trade and commerce of the last two centuries, such as
- Coopers tools,
- Machines and equipment of a fretsaw factory and
- issued a bookbindery.
- The highlight of this room is the old Rheinfelsapotheke.
March 10 – March 24, 2018 + October 28 – November 11, 2018:
from 10:00 – 12:30 and 13:00 - 16:30.
March 25 – October 27, 2018:
from 10:00 – 12:30 and 13:00 – 17:30.
The museum is closed during the winter months. The entrance is included in the castle entrance!